Sleep is one of the basic foundations that affects how we feel yet it is frequently put low on the to-do-list because of our increasingly “busy” lives. In 2019 however, why not refresh yourself by getting quality sleep every night of the week?
There are many simple things you can change to make you sleep better, and improve your health. Here are 8 practical New Year’s resolutions that you can implement in 2019 for better sleep!
1. What wakes you up at night? Make changes that specifically target what is getting in the way of your sleep.
2. Stop looking at social media while laying in bed. A quick Facebook or Instagram check can turn into hours of mind-numbing scrolling and all of a sudden you don’t have enough time left to get a full night of sleep. Don’t trick yourself into looking!
3. Does the light coming through the window wake you in the mornings? Get some light blocking shades, blackout curtains or sleeping eye mask.
4. Cut out caffeine in the afternoon. Even if you think you sleep fine after your afternoon coke, coffee, energy drink or pre-workout, caffeine affects the quality of your sleep.
5. Cut back on the nights you drink alcohol. Alcohol may help you fall asleep but it can destroy your chance for a restful and restorative sleep leading you to feel tired, anxious, irritable, or depressed.
6. Get a white noise machine, or even mobile app, to help you fall asleep and stay asleep with it’s ambient noise designed to help you go to sleep and stay asleep.
7. Does anxiety or worries wake you or make it hard to fall asleep? Commit to doing targeted, short-term, therapy for insomnia. The results of this therapy is sustainable over time, unlike sleep medication that only works when you take it.
8. Do your animals wake you? Get some cat or dog free sleeping time.