Before you visit your GP, a little bit of preparation can go a long way and help you get the most out of your doctor’s appointment.
Here are 6 steps of preparation to do before you visit a doctor at My Medical & Dental:
- Write a list of what you want to talk to your doctor about
- Decide whether you want someone to come with you and organise for them to join you
- Write down a list of what medications and supplements you’re currently taking
- Be prepared to be honest about your medical history
- Let the doctor know if there’s anything they are saying that you do not understand
- Call ahead if you might be infectious in any way (fever, cough, runny nose, rash)
The importance of being honest with your doctor during your appointment:
While medical appointments might seem intrusive or awkward at times, the relationship you build with your doctor has important effects on your health and well-being. Just like any good working relationship, it requires open communication. That means being truthful about your symptoms, concerns and, yes, even your bad habits. Being open and honest with your doctor will ensure that you are given the best recommendations and treatment for your concerns.