If you are planning an overseas trip, please make an appointment with one of our travel health professionals, as we will equip you with the knowledge you need for your health and travel.
How to avoid getting sick overseas:
- Wash your hands and always carry hand sanitiser
- Drink bottled water only (even when you’re brushing your teeth!) and keep your hydration levels up
- Be careful of food contamination and read the reviews before dining somewhere
- Don’t be afraid of having familiar food if your stomach is feeling slightly unsettled
- Protect yourself against the UV rays with sun protection such as 50+ sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
- Get vaccinated
- Protect yourself from mosquito bites by taking repellent with you
How to Eat Healthy While You Travel:
Hit the markets! The first thing to do when arriving to a new unknown country or city, is ask around about when and where there are local fresh produce markets are. There you can typically find nuts, fresh fruit and vegetables, local cooked dishes, baked goods and all round healthier options than eating out.
How to exercise while you travel:
Where : local park, swimming, adventure activities e.g. snorkelling, kayaking, bike riding
How : body weight exercises, local gym day pass
3. Health Eating
How : eat fresh produce at local markets, choose grain options, chose sorbet over gelato, chose soda-water in your alcoholic drinks
How to Prepare for a Medical Emergency while overseas:
- Pack a first aid kit
- Don’t be afraid to seek local help for next-level illness or injury
- In cases of extreme emergency, contact the Australian embassy
- Purchase travel and medical insurance before you go overseas
To book in for a travel health check before your next overseas holiday, call us today!