In a world where we are busier and have access to so many things instantly, we know how hard making healthy home cooking can be! Check out this practical guide with hacks that will help make cooking healthy meals at home a lot easier for you…
- Plan ahead – create a plan for the week of what healthy meals you are going to cook each night and what ingredients you need to make the meals.
Handy hint – when planning your meals be realistic about how much time you will have each night of the week to actually cook!
- Shop smarter – always go to the grocery store with a list! Save more time by ordering your groceries online and get them delivered to your house. That way you have no excuse to buy unhealthy food because you “saw it on sale” or no excuse to get take-away because you “didn’t have time to go to the shops”.
- Cook in bulk – save time and money by cooking in bulk for the week. Dish up portioned meals into plastic containers and freeze for during the week!
- Don’t dismiss frozen fruit and vegetable produce – frozen fruit and vegetables can save time when cooking and can be bought and stored in bulk if you’re prepping for the whole week.
- Pre-prepare lunches – Make your lunches for the week and store in containers in the fridge or freezer. Give yourself some healthy options and also variety so you don’t get sick of it! This way your lunch will be ready to go each day and you will be less inclined to purchase a take-away on your lunch break.
- Use your slow cooker – the best way to cook healthy meals in bulk! Chop up all of your meat and vegetables and put in the slow cooker all day while you’re at work and you’ll come home to a healthy meal, hot and ready to be served, with zero prep time at night.
- Have a cooking roster – Share around the cooking and get your children and teenagers or spouse/partner involved.